Wooden dash update

To: tigers@autox.team.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Wooden dash update
From: Chris Mottram <c_mottram@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 07:02:36 -0800 (PST)
On my dash restoratin project to date I have perfromed
the following:
Sanded all olld veneer off/smoooth
Built a jig (cheap/easy) for veneering the dash,
Glued up and clamped, clamped, clamped, the new veneer
from the local exotic wood guy
Went in search of OEM looking lettering (Found at
model rail road hobby store)
Applied 2 sealer/base coats of polyurethane varnish
(Helms Spar Varnish for Home Depot)
Painstaking measured and rubbed on the lettering
Applied another coat of poly varnish over the
lettering and entire dash (Fish Eye'd on me over the
letters - DOH!)
Sanded entire dash careful over the letters (Not
carefule enough -DOH!)
Sanded off damaged letters and reapplied new ones,
Applied another coat of poly varnish (more fish eye)
Sand,varnish,sand,varnish,sand,varnish,etc. (every
other day or so until about 10+ coats)
Now it is flat and has a little build to it.
I am on my last (I hope) sand,varnish step, Just
enough to take care of a few imperfections left by
bubbles.  It looks great.
FYI to others - find something to seal the rub on
letters with before you try to coat with poly varnish,
this should  avoid the fish eye.  I used the brute
force method and slathered on many coats until it was
covered.
FYI-2-Beware when sanding the varnish, I let it dry a
couple of days and if I sanded too deep, it got gummy.
 I'd let the gumminess dry out a day or two then
finish sanding, it was then OK.
This dones not take a lot of man hours but due to the
sand/recoat process it takes a long duration.
Now I am ready to take on Norm Abrams and that 17th
century highboy ;-)

Chris

Do You Yahoo!?