RE: Intake manifold for sale

To: "Theo Smit" <tsmit@home.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Intake manifold for sale
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 07:19:37 -0800
Theo,

I'm relieved to hear you aren't the guilty party. I'll re-rack my gun. ;-)
My missive was strictly hyperbole, although as you know I had a very bad
experience with a bead blasted intake manifold and since then am
particularly sensitive about bead blasting anything that goes inside an
engine. Those little pieces of broken glass beads get imbedded in the metal
and although washing helps, it may not completely remove it all. The dust
also settles in all the hard-to-clean nooks and crannies. The place you
especially need to check is, if it has one, the metal heat shield riveted to
the bottom under the plenum. This heat shield is impossible to clean inside.
I would recommend removing it, at least to clean it. I took it off my intake
permanently. Of course, maybe your manifold was only blasted on the external
surfaces, and the rest was masked off to keep out the dust. If not, caveat
emptor.

TTFN,

Bob