Problem Solved And A Couple More

Subject: Problem Solved And A Couple More
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 09:50:12 -0800
Thanks to the advice from the list, my warm Tiger hard starting problem
is solved. Sure enough, I removed the brake booster and plugged the
vacuum line to it. Now the Tiger starts instantly hot or cold. The
booster, which was locking up the brakes, is "slosh city"....full of
brake fluid you hear sloshing around when you shake it. The braking is
actually pretty good with the booster bypassed (and the small CAT brake
master cylinder installed), but you do have to pay more attention when
coming to a stop as you have to keep quite a bit more pressure on the
pedal to come to a complete halt. I might end up re-doing the booster
later on. Plugging the vacuum leak also cured my steady cruising speed
"stumble" too.

Here's another question:

I finally got my electric choke on my new Holley  carb. working
semi-properly. When starting cold, if functions as it should. I depress
the pedal half way, you hear the choke plate clicking "closed", turn the
key and it starts and, after a shot of gas or two, it idles at around
1300 RPM and off I go without having to do a long warm up, just like a
real car! However, as the car warms up, to get the idle to get to its
normal warm idle RPM (I have it set around 750 RPM), you have to really
"goose" the throttle pedal. Once you do this enough to get the idle to
drop, it stays where its supposed to be. My understanding is that the
choke should gradually and automatically bring down the idle as the
choke spring heats up and lower the fast idle speed.

When I was messing about with the choke previously (before I realized it
wasn't getting its required 12 volts), I think I might have messed up
the alignment of the fast idle mechanism by pushing toward closed (or
open??) the air horn choke plate and holding the red plastic choke "cam"
(I hope I'm using the right terms) in place. I think I heard a couple of
"clicks" while doing this, not something breaking but like I might have
forced the cam a couple of "clicks" off its preferred position. Does
this make sense? Looking at the side of the carb, I can't figure out
exactly how that mechanism works and how I can adjust it. Help, as
usual, will be appreciated.

P.S.......As I'm getting the final (for now) bugs out of the Tiger and
making it my reliable daily driver, I'm coming to the feeling that my
drivetrain, as it sits now, has some more zoom in it that I may be able
to release by getting at the timing and tuning, so I'll be looking at
that next. However, that idea on the list a couple of days ago of using
15" wheels on the back and keeping the stock 13" wheels on the front so
the car is always driving down hill sounds mighty appealing!!! I might
try that as I do notice that the car does feel much faster driving down
mountain roads than it does on the earlier trip up.

Regards,
Steve Sage
1967 MK1A