RE: 4 bbl carbs

To: <RGGAMMA@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 4 bbl carbs
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 07:56:55 -0700
Gunny,

Gerard has given you a very good summary of the pros and cons. You asked
specifically about the vacuum secondary model 600 cfm. As it comes stock,
the advantage of Holleys in cornering situations isn't there because this
carb comes with side pivot fuel bowl floats. However, Holley carbs are
relatively easy to "hod rod", and one of the most important modifications
you can make if you want anything but straight ahead performance is to
repace the float bowls on the vacuum secondary carb with the center pivot
type. I got mine from an old double-pumper, but kits for converting are
available from Holley. Also, you can get re-worked Holleys from Barry Grant
and other sources if you don't want to work on it yourself. These guys are
supposed to be able to work some "magic" to get more horsepower and better
throttle response out of a carb.

I have tried a Carter 625 cfm spread bore carb on my Tiger and liked it a
lot for the street. It wasn't the right carb for autocrossing or track
tracing though.