Re: Re: Tiger wheel mounting.

To: "Tigers (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Tiger wheel mounting.
From: Bennett Cullen-R51465 <Cullen.Bennett@Motorola.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:00:35 -0700
<big snip>
>I keep thinking about having the wheels machined for
>taper nut seat inserts - has anyone done this on LAT-70's?
<snip>
Theo,
I had taper lug seats machined into another brand of aluminum wheels for my
Tiger that have worked very nicely for several years. The shop had to machine
through the existing hemispherical seat to form a counterbore so that the steel
tapered seat could be pressed into place. After the machine work, I mounted the
bare wheels, one at a time, on a front hub and measured the run-out on the
front and edge of the rim with a dial indicator. Out of the five wheels that I
had machined, the worst case "wobble" was just under 0.030". That one ended up
being the spare tire wheel. The remaining four were on the order of 0.015"
"wobble" which has been very acceptable for my driving "sensory feel". I
suspect that the rubber portion of the wheel has much more variation,
especially after a few thousand miles of stop 'n go.
Cullen in Tempe (B9472658)