Engine and tranny removal

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine and tranny removal
From: John Clark <clarkjc@stny.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:12:32 -0400
Fellow Tiger owners,

I pulled the ol' 260 and toploader out of my Tiger from the top a few days
ago, and I'd just like to share my experience before I forget the details.

Do everything the shop manual says, but also remove the water pump,
carburetor, and distributor.
My floor jack was only able to get car approx. 1.5 feet off the floor, as
measured from the front hub centers.
Unbolt the motor mount adapters after the engine is supported.
With the water pump and the motor mount adapters removed, you can slide the
engine and tranny farther forward.
My engine crane could not lift the whole assembly out of the engine
bay.  At its maximum lift, the top of the crane was about 8 feet off the
floor, and half of the tranny was still in the engine bay.  A second crane
was used to lift the tailshaft of the tranny over the grille and out of the
engine bay.

Anyway, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.  It should not
require a high ceiling if you have the second crane.

Thanks.

- John
B382000703LRXFE