Re: Looking for my old Tiger MKII (longish post)

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Looking for my old Tiger MKII (longish post)
From: Fhsloth3@cs.com
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 11:13:59 EDT
It's a cold, rainy day here in Pennsylvania, so I thought it would be a good
time to start my search for my long lost Tiger MKII.

I purchased the car off the showroom floor in Bloomfield, NJ in June, 1967.
It was, I think, forest green (it may have been another shade) with a black
interior. It had the standard AM radio and weld on traction bars as the only
dealer installed options. It also had the black and white stripes on the
sides.

I later added a Carter AFB 4-barrel and Ford cast iron manifold, using the
original air cleaner. I added one driving and two fog lights to the car,
drilling three holes in the bumper to mount them. I also installed a Hurst
shifter.

I remember that when I changed the clutch I left out the top bolt from the
bell housing; it was almost impossible to get in, and the garage that loaned
me lift time was getting upset at the amount of time I was taking.

The dash had a Stewart-Warner vacuum gauge in the clock location, and blue
bullet style lights under the dash. These were put in as mood lights and to
attract girls (yeah, right!). Red bullet lights were installed behind the
grille for the same reason (yeah, right!).

Not knowing what I had in the way of a rare vehicle, I traded it in at Mayo
Motors in Trexlertown, PA in 1972. At the time it had only one driving light
and one fog light, and a very worn out set of Tiger Paws. There was a slight
rip in the back of the driver's seat and a crease in the drivers door.

There were a couple body repairs made over the years- one on top of the front
right fender and one on the side of the left front fender. The first was from
braking so hard that the car came up under the docking bar of a semi; the
other was from hitting Bambi. Bambi sideswiped the fender with her butt,
rolled down the hill, got up and ran away, oblivious to any injuries.

The car did not have the original soft top due to a thief at the 1968 Grand
Prix race at Watkins Glenn.

Naturally, if I knew the VIN I would add it to this post.

I would really appreciate knowing the fate of this car. I don't know if I
could afford to buy it back, but at least knowing it went to a good home
would make me feel better about doing something stupid in my youth. I'm sure
we've all done things we regret, but I think I get the prize, at least when
it comes to cars.

I have since purchased and restored a MKI which will never leave.

Thanks for taking time to read this, and if you have any information about
the car please contact me.

Fred Baum
MKI 9470768