Trouble getting started

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Trouble getting started
From: Mark Burnett <2mbb@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 15:57:28 -0700
My engine won't start.  The starter cranks the engine, but the engine
won't catch.  Every now and then, I get a puff of white smoke up through
the carburetor.  I rebuilt the engine about 6,000 miles ago (2 yrs), and
the engine has been starting right up and running great until now.

Since I have been unable to start it, I have rebuilt the carburetor,
replaced spark plugs and distributor rotor and cap.  I've used my
inductive timing light while cranking to confirm current to plugs and
rough ignition timing.  I also used an old plug to confirm that I have
energy to make a spark coming from the coil as well as a few spark plug
wires.  There is fuel in the float bowls, the accelerator pumps work,
and the fluid looks like gasoline and does burn.  I've checked the cold
engine compression and it seems fine.

My parts are:  650 CFM Speed Demon carburetor, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD
coil and MSD magnetic pickup distributor installed on a 302.

Any ideas about what's wrong will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Mark Burnett
B9471102