Re: Small Fans Needed

To: Tiger Sunbeam <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Small Fans Needed
From: Christian Gerzner <christiang@integritynet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:28:41 +1000
Folks,

At last, an engineering question, regardless of questionable voltage,
where I actually might have some (shock, horror!!!) expertise.

Computers, conventional, desktop, (and their fans) are quite
definitely NOT designed for:

* extreme changes of temperature
* extreme vibration

as just two of the things that would beset them under the bonnet
(hood) of a car.

Sure, the current (motorised) crop are, but, trust me, they have been
very carefully designed for the job and tucked away in the coolest
spot. Computers, more particularly CPUs just HATE heat. That's why
they have fans. Computer fans don't have a heat problem (they
virtually self-cool) but put them alongside a suddenly switched off
vehicle engine which tends to heat up more before it cools? Or a car
air conditioner?

Or just under the bonnet in a broiling sun? Or glass/sunroof?

More importantly, computer fans, of the desktop computer variety, are
quite certainly NOT engineered to take the hard knocks of the
vibrations of a car environment. Even if that car is a most modern
limousine with  the smoothest air suspension.

Incidentally, there is some concern that the CPUs currently in modern
cars might be the cause why these might never become "collectables".

But you knew that anyway.

Cheers,

Christian