The REAL 14 Quart Oil Pan!

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: The REAL 14 Quart Oil Pan!
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:19:21 -0700
All this recent interest in high capacity oil pans, and the volume of
historical information being traded on what may never have really
existed, brings to mind a TRUE HISTORICAL STORY.

As many of you probably already know, I was once the proud owner of a
brand new 1954  Jaguar XK 120 M  (or "C" in England) roadster.

This car, aside from it's beauty (see latest MAY Road and Track ) and
advanced design, had some unique features.  The Genuine Jaeger fuel
gauge had a small button next to it.  When this button was depressed the
gauge transformed into an oil level gauge, rather than a petrol level
gauge.  The British were VERY concerned that you check this often. Said
so in "The Manual!"

With a recommended oil and filter change every 1,000 miles (in those
days) you would wonder why.  Especially since the aluminum sump held 14
quarts (including full flow filter.  Unlike other motor products from
the "old country", this one didn't seem to leak oil.  Grease, yes, oil - no.

You can imagine me testing the oil level every 10% of it's rated life
(every 100 miles!).   When I drove into the service department (or gas
station) for my 1,000 mile maintenance they greeted me with a HUGE
smile.  ("Another 14 quarts of Castrol AND a filter, Bob !!!!!")

I am not sure if BP owned Jag, or vice versa!

Glad to see oil lasts longer, now, and 4 1/2 quarts seems to be the new
standard, although the total cost, in constant dollars, remains the same!

Just a glimpse of history to show you nothing ever changes (for the better).

Steve

--
-----

Steve Laifman