RE: Tom Prager's Checklist

To: "'Steve Laifman'" <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Tom Prager's Checklist
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:14:08 -0300
Tom;

The problem might just not be related to your front end.

I also have an MGB, and they are renowned for having this throttle-steer
Effect when the rear spring mounting bushes get worn. Actually, anything
loose back there will contribute to the rear-end cocking sideways enough
under power to feel this effect. It is difficult to tell whether it is
the front end or the back end moving out of alignment when you step on
the gas. Its worth having a look back there to eliminate this
possibility.

Dave

Dear List,

My understanding of the problem:
 ........the car pulls to the right if I get on the gas pedal and once I
am off the throttle
(especially noticeable in third gear) - a hazardous situation. This
"feels" as it this is a caster problem,
although caster is set to 3 degrees 50 minutes positive on both sides.
Front end replacement parts include
new tie rod ends, upper/lower ball joints, Dale's lower fulcrum
pins/A-arm bushings (installed in the
recommended orientation), coil spring donuts, new bellows on the
steering rack, upper/lower snubbers and both
steering U-joints. The car did not have alignment issues prior to the
rebuild, which was performed out of the
car following removal of the entire cross member and suspension.