my tiger acquisition-easy to delete

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: my tiger acquisition-easy to delete
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:01:53 EST
I had recently gotten rid of a "show clean" 62 split window Vet and the money
was burning a hole in my pocket.  I had seen  a few Tigers in my  younger
days and thought it would be fun to own one.  If you remember a story that I
sent
to the list a few years back, you will remember that in this part of Vermont
there were very few Tigers, but in my city there was this one especially quick
car.  I assumed all Tigers were like that , so I wanted one.  I wanted a
driver not  a show car like the Vet I just sold.
I was searching auto books while in Florida and came across an ad for a Tiger
at a place in Sarasota.  This shop had a few English cars for sale, but their
main business was dismantling Jaguars and selling parts.  Never saw so many
parted out Jags in my life.
I showed up and the guy took me out back and showed me the biggest pieces of
junk I had ever seen.  It was a Tiger, but I doubt it was worth salvaging.  I
said that can't be the car that was advertised.   He said that he'd have to
call a guy who owned the car advertised and have him bring it by.  After about
1/2 hours this fellow shows up in a Red Tiger that even had a red hard top.
That really got to me.  I agreed to pay what was asked ($12,000 in 1987 or so)
 if I could get the car checked over.  A battle then began with the car owner
and the shop owner over the shop getting a commission.
I had the car checked the next day and pronounced fit to drive the 1,800
miles back to Vermont.  I had him check the fluids and change the oil.  The
front
end shook so much at certain speeds that I had the wheels balanced.  It still
shook at any speed over 55 mph, so I drove the whole 1,800 at 50 and 55mph.
The second day the battery died.  Upon inspection, the seller, an Englishman,
had taken out the Die Hard battery that was with the car when I viewed it, and
thrown in a piece of junk only 1/3 filled with water.  You'd think the crook
could have at least spared a cup of water for the battery:-)  The car made it
the whole 1,800 miles without further incident.  At a few stops on the way, I
was approached by people just raving about the car.  I began to realize this
was sort of a cult vehicle.
Got the car home and dug into it a little.  Aside from needing all hydraulics
rebuilt (the brake fluid was mud) and about $500 worth or rust repair in the
wheel wells, the car was in very good original condition.  Guess it was dumb
luck since I had only read one book on Tigers before I purchased, but the car
had every single original part on it except the hinges on the interior trunk
shelf and the tools that were missing.  And the rest is history.