Re: Stolen Tiger

To: Bill Martin <tigerfixer@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Stolen Tiger
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 15:57:32 -0800 (PST)
No matter what we do to our cars they will always be
thievable, perhaps not by someone passing by but no
one stands a chance against a real pro.Also , Tigers
have definitly seen an increase in value and if owners
continue to demand higher returns and with the support
of the clubs and of course other collecter cars rising
in value, I think prices will continue to go
up.(IE;The St Louis car on ebay) With that in mind a
good idea would be that we all mark our cars so that a
paint and interior and even more so a VIN tag change
wouldnt make your car unknown to you. For example when
my kids where young there was a group of boys stealing
bicycles, may recoverd by the local police but if you
couldnt prove ownership, they didnt want to release
the bike, so we used an index card, my kids name,
phone number and address, put it in a baggie, removed
the handle bar grip and slide it down inside the
handle bars. We never had to prove any of the stolen
bikes belonged to my kids but we could have if
necesary. So what would you do, if your Tiger was
stolen and a few years down the road you think you
have located it. the vin isnt the same, the paint and
interior and several other things you restored had
been swapped, perhaps with other stolen Tigers. How
would you prove it was your car? I dont have that
answer but I stronly believe it is in our best
interest to mark the car in a place only you would
know about. Something that would prove your case. My
solution to the car being stolen is the sending
units(tracker beams) used on newer cars or on pets or
small children, like on their shoes, so if the child
is grabbed the cops can locate the kid becuse of the
signal being sent.The same applies to pets and so I
would think they would be easily availble for a car.
hidden in the proper location, the police could
pinpoint the cars location especially if notified
sooner as opposed to later. Meanwhile, perhaps someone
has a great place to hide your name etc, so IF the sad
day ever does happen, you might be able to at least
prove it is your car if found later on. I can only
imangine how the poor lady felt when she realized her
car was gone. A few years back if one of the guys I
rode Harleys with got a little to drunk, someone would
steal his bike and hide it from him. the look on their
face was indeed a sad one to see. Of course they got
mad when they found out the joke was on them but at
the same time they where so happy to get the HD back,
they got over being mad. I hope everyone looks so hard
that someone finds her car and the thief gets whats
coming to him. Stoned with used Sunbeam parts
until------, well maybe I best not decide his
punishment. later, TTT