Fulcrum Pins

To: "tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fulcrum Pins
From: "Mark Rense" <kneedrag@corecomm.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 22:32:56 -0500
All,
While B382000991 was down for an engine swap, I had Doug Jennings rebuild and
strengthen the front cross member. Guess what, one of the fulcrum pins was
bent and showed a small stress crack. These pins were not OEM, Doug thought
they may have been his stronger chrome-moly pins. Furthermore, several cracks
in the cross-member welds were discovered after it was dipped. Did I or the
previous owner do it? Who knows. The point is that even the better pins do
fail, be sure to check yours occasionally.

My car had the old shorter CAT springs which would coil bind before the
suspension bottomed on the rubber stops, this severe loading more than likely
caused the cracks in the front crossmember and fulcrum pins. A new set of
Dale's springs will be installed. Glad it was caught early enough. I hate
kissing Armco barriers...it leaves such a mark!

Bugz