Re: my speculations around the demise of the Tiger

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: my speculations around the demise of the Tiger
From: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:54:04 -0700 (PDT)
One aspect to keep in mind is that the fed updates required to keep the
Tiger alive, most likely could have been applied to the Alpine as well,
so Chrysler could have justified those costs over the total volume of
both models, not just Tiger volumes. The core issue is that the
business case on ANY sportscar was not at all in line with the
objectives of a company like Chrysler at that time, especially a low to
moderately priced sportscar. Also, while the Tiger/Alpine styling has
stood the test of time quite well... it would not have sold at all in
the 70's without a serious redesign. I'd guess that cost would have
been far greater than a mere update to meet federal standards, and
likely had more to do with the overall financial assessment that killed
the Tiger.

Stephen Waybright