[Tigers] WHAT IS IT!!

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] WHAT IS IT!!
From: marden@mistral.co.uk
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:45:49 +0000
          BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
 Hi to all my Tiger friends across the pond. Here is a good question!
 I have just been lucky enough to obtain what I think is a very rare
car, but what is it. The car started out in its life as 1962
Harrington Alpine Le Mans but its third owner happened to be a
certain Mr. John Horsman who had been in charge of the Aston Martin
Race Programme and by this time was working with John Wyer as co
founder and director of the famous GULF RACING TEAM (GT40, Porsche
917, Mirage, Le Mans etc., etc.). After a GT40 development visit by
the Shelby/Ford guys a GT40 engine was left behind and John thought
it a shame to waste it and knew it would fit because he'd seen the
Tiger. The car was stripped and sent to his good friend Des O,dell
back at the Rootes Competition workshop and was duly TIGERISED by
Des/Rootes and returned to John at the FAV (Ford Advanced Vehicles)
workshop where the GT40 team mechanics inserted the running gear. Hey
Presto he had what I jokingly call a:  SHELBY GULF SUNBEAM HARRINGTON
LE MANS TIGER GT40 SPECIAL.  It was used as a road going development
car. The car was given to one of the mechanics after the GT40
programme closed and he barn stored it for 36 years. I tracked it
down and made an offer he couldn't refuse. It still has its original
engine etc and the log book (title papers) still show the owners as
GULF RACING RESEARCH. I realise it is a converted Alpine but so were
the Le Mans Tigers. As the conversion was carried out at the Rootes
comp dept. I think its more of a Tiger special than a fake. Norman
has it in his book as a fake. Comments please. Martin