[Tigers] cam sprocket

To: owain.lloyd@gmail.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Tigers] cam sprocket
From: Rollright@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 15:15:40 EDT
Hello,

Saw your interesting letter on the Tiger list-serve.

I too had a high mileage Tiger and last October the "early" cam sprocket
lost 4 of its nylon teeth causing valves to come in contact with the pistons. A

very bad day. Complete engine rebuild.

In "How to rebuild your small block Ford" by Tom Monroe, he says that this
is the Achilles heel of the earlier (read ours) thin wall Fords. This gear has
an aluminum center with nylon teeth for quiet operation. By the late 60's,
Ford went to a cast iron cam sprocket. The nylon wears well but becomes
brittle in higher heat environments (our engine compartments).

Do the research. Ask others. My recommendation is to change this part and
save your original engine.

Best regards,

Jim  Armstrong
Mk 1A 382002083