Re: [Tigers] ALGER?? or TIGER ????

To: MG <Mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] ALGER?? or TIGER ????
From: "michael king" <michael.s.king@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:00:29 +1000
I sometimes think people jump the gun with the "alger" tag. On ebay
there are many inexperienced sellers and often peoploe who are selling
on behalf of others and have no idea about sunbeams let alone
tigers/alpines/algers.

People have owned cars and done repairs/mods that make them look less
than authentic.. they remove tags when they do bodywork (and in many
ways i understand that.. if you acid dip a car there will be no tags
left.. if you are doing a concourse paint job.. how do you make the
area round the tags nice etc...) i guess the real trick is to look at
the photos and if things are not adding up.. ask questions... offer
assitance and see if we can come to an understanding about how things
have ended up the way they have.

I had a local member here (australia) give my car some flack (and my
car is TAC'd) because it doesn't have the side trim and badges and has
the wrong gauges in it. Now if you open up the boot panels/door trims
you can see where the holes are filled for the side trim.. i have all
the original gauges. It also has the fuel pump in the boot (and a fuel
cell) which are not stock.. i have all the original bits and a
photographic restoration so you can see when the changes were made..
car is TAC'd and there are many marks left by the rootes factory to
prove its lineage.. yet less informed people suddenly questioned my
car because of one a$$ ... i was quite upset about this as i knew the
car was not a fake and i have invested heavily in it... so maybe we
should be alittle careful how we phrase things... i'm all for catching
people out passing on fradulent cars.. but lets not condem before we
know what we are dealing with.

just my .02

--
Regards