Re: [Tigers] fulcrum pin Survey

To: Buck Trippel <BuckTrippel@Verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] fulcrum pin Survey
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 11:11:13 -0800
Buck,

The survey is a good idea for acquiring failure rate/risk data.  I do
recommend we also hear from the list on experience with replacement
pins, especially those that went for the larger diameter pins and
polyurethane bushings.  My own pins are still the originals, but some of
the horror stories leave me queasy, as well as similar stories about
"super pins".

I have seen these "super pins" without thread relief at thread root, not
heat treated and using mild steel, and round bar stock as base
material.  They have been made in the US as well as other countries, and
lathe machined, rather than "CNC" , <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathe_(metal) >

/"CNC lathes are rapidly replacing the older production lathes
(multispindle, etc) due to their ease of setting and operation. They are
designed to use modern carbide tooling and fully utilize modern
processes. The part may be designed by the Computer-aided manufacturing
(CAM) process, the resulting file uploaded to the machine, and once set
and trialled the machine will continue to turn out parts under the
occasional supervision of an operator. The machine is controlled
electronically via a computer menu style interface, the program may be
modified and displayed at the machine, along with a simulated view of
the process. The setter/operator needs a high level of skill to perform
the process, however the knowledge base is broader compared to the older
production machines where intimate knowledge of each machine was
considered essential. These machines are often set and operated by the
same person, where the operator will supervise a small number of
machines (cell).

The design of a CNC lathe has evolved yet again however the basic
principles and parts are still recognizable, the turret holds the tools
and indexes them as needed. The machines are often totally enclosed, due
in large part to Occupational health and safety (OH&S) issues.

With the advent of cheap computers, free operating systems such as
Linux, and open source CNC software, the entry price of CNC machines has
plummeted. For example, Sherline makes a desktop CNC lathe that is
affordable by hobbyists."

/Steve

___
Steve Laifman