[Tigers] The Cost Of Shelby

To: Tiger Talk List Tiger <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] The Cost Of Shelby
From: michael king <michael.s.king@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 09:38:27 +1000
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: michael king <michael.s.king@gmail.com>
Date: 2009/6/3
Subject: Re: The Cost Of Shelby
To: Samouce's <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>

I know that Shelby was involved in the Tigers evolution; I know he had
offered to build them and was ultimately paid a royalty for each car rootes
did build. I guess what i was getting at with Duke is we all know the
Carrol's involvement (or lack of depending if you are one of the Boskoff
camp) but while he did play an important part in the prototyping stage his
production involvement was limited.

As for the LAT options.. yes they are largely re-badged cobra items.. but
thats still aftermarket stuff and was never on "production" cars. Dont get
me wrong.. I would hope nobody would question my respect, enjoyment and love
of our Sunbeam Tigers (and alpines!) but i actually get quite annoyed when
people start calling them "shelby tigers" they are trying to associate their
car with that name for generally 2 reasons.. either jacking up the value or
trying to associate it with a perceived prestige of the shelby name... truth
be told.. the SUNBEAM name has far more racing pedigree than shelby...

As for the registry.. this popped up maybe 2 years ago.. the one thing i
will credit shelby for is his ability to make a $ off anything he is
remotely involved with. if you go back through the archives this registry
evolved when good ol carrol decided to have a go at the people that had
maintained and evolved the brand of his old cars for which he had turned his
back on for so long.. Suddenly he loved his mustangs and cobras again as
their was money to be made... if allowing tiger guys to register got a few
more $.. "then welcome to the club!" and he threatened the members of the
clubs bearing his name with legal action for using it...

Look i dont realyl care one way or another.. I love Sunbeams.. I was
flattered when i was invited to a special interest section at the ferrari
concourse in 2008 and parked with bugattis, maserati GP cars etc..  as for
display cars.. i guess time to promote mine again.. free to download for
everyone.. simply print and laminate!

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2113355360054462410DzKnVh
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2517842820054462410EQCeiW

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2276233220054462410Shqpwp