Re: [Tigers] Patriot heads on a Tiger & a valve cover tip

To: Gary <maliburevue@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Patriot heads on a Tiger & a valve cover tip
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:49:13 -0800 (PST)
I applaude Gary for his post. Its information of this nature that saves
others"trial and error", looking for a set of roller rockers that fit under
OEM valve covers. To add a tip from me, that everyone might know BUT if it
helps just one member its worth my time.

When installing new valve cover gaskets, I tie the gasket to the valve cover
w/ the knot on the outside, using light string or fishing line. This will hold
the gasket in place so you can start a bolt w/ washer(s) of choice.I prefer a
stainless lock on top of a stainless flat, just large enough for the OD of the
flat to keep the lock from scoring the valve cover- they do come in diferent
OD with the ID the  correct size for the bolt. Prior to tightening the bolts,
clip the string (sharp knife)  and pull it out w/ neddle nose pliers. I have
also used RTV blue or black to the thick black rubber and reuseable gaskets. I
glue the gasket to the valve cover- using bolts to keep the holes centered
over the valve cover holes.Prior to installing the valve cover I rub a very
light film of grease to the runners on the head. This keeps the gasket stuck &
sealed to the valve cover and when torqued the grease helps it to not leak
but allows removal from the head later on when or if the lifters need
adjusted, the gasket doesnt stick and is easily reused. Remember DO NOT OVER
TORQUE the  1/4 inch , (Im guessing,) sized bolts s the OEM valve covers bend
easily and the new gaskets require a t more torque to reuse or RTV to both
sides, which makes cleam up tougher on the heads- with the valve cover
removed