[Tigers] Opinions Please: LAT-70 Repro Wheels Better than

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Opinions Please: LAT-70 Repro Wheels Better than
From: MAURO D'ANGELO <m_dangelo@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 08:09:34 -0500
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping buy a set of original LAT-70 wheels for my '66 Mark 1A
(B382001355LRXFE) (TAC #709).  Since I emailed my interest to listers, I've
had several tell me that repro wheels are better, and much safer, than the
original LAT wheels.  One explained to me that I should think hard about
spending money on originals and this is why a couple of sets of original
wheels sold for well under $1000 this past summer (no one wanted
them???)...something about the originals not meeting DOT specs because they
can crack and disintegrate at speed?  Can you imagine?  Is this just an "old
wives tale, or is there really truth to it?

What are your thoughts about this?  I don't really like the idea of having
new parts on a classic car, and I really prefer original equipment to repro,
but I guess safety is king.  I can't imagine "investing" such money on
essentially unusable collector items that will end up just taking up space
on a shelf.

Thanks for your opinions!

Mauro