Re: [Tigers] New Guy Questions

To: michael@michaelshortt.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] New Guy Questions
From: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 09:14:55 -0700
Cc: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type; bh=FN5femAA+BVv7nIC3OoGT6GotRyk+QVecGtjD6IhQyA=; b=B8MbIoAnJdLdwgr6YUr4VFdOvXGVVZAjh3Qre632DDigYIjvOoBL+Fp0G8WdMI/rGY WGF3hiupMNl5dAhaNHA96M3k/cuhVdYBRI8HTrplDaRCnHaGS5y11WOLcWGsSl14dAgC 854Lb5/BUXLLvz0OFV+ogi8nD6Fv0Qc4+hJ+PNIqvN3WLZ757jMTK+acFUxQzE05KTGW u/1e08YpmdvGwrHDMYY28j+SYNc/Qy2/LHZHDXiVQ4qslR6cNmYBFFjleI3R7EywKkKF H4NEoq+l3O+ORg8KKuTefNQDtCZT8YScTQLy5QR9C4XRTbBmMW6dh6lPHEY2sKhWDSEf GB4A==
Like most people who think they are different from the "other" republicans
or democrats because they think they are "really in the center," I'm going
to claim I come from this from a different perspective - which is probably
what pretty much everyone probably thinks of themselves.

I have way too many cars (6 at last count).  And, I have to admit, my
absolute favorite one is the one I'm sitting in at the time.  Each one is
so cool in its own right and for such different reasons.

My first car was an Alpine that my dad and I bought for $100 in 1978 with a
blown headgasket - but in very clean, straight, original paint condition.
I still have it and cherish it.  I've driven many Tigers over the years.
And even though I'm now a Tiger owner, which means I should be uncritcal, I
have to admit that most of those Tigers were not at all what I thought they
were cracked up to be.  On hindsight, I think it is because most guys
slammed cheaper go fast parts on the Ford engine, didn't pay all that much
attention to the suspension - either to keep it up to par, or to improve it
to match the new power, and then wore the cars down with all the power.

My epiphany was when I helped my dad buy his 45,000 mile Tiger.  Actually
it wasn't until a bit later when I got the chance to drive it for 2 weeks
because he wanted me to change the oil.  Well, those 2 weeks ended up being
5 months before I brought the car back!  That car is so smooth, so
balanced, so tight, so together, and so intoxicating with that torque and
exhaust sound.  I think a lot of the credit goes to the low miles,
unmolested condition and the attention my dad gave to it.

So, my advice to you is to not worry about Mark 1, 1A or 2, but to find the
nicest, original car you can find - and should you drive a bunch of them
and find that they aren't what you thought they would be, keep looking.
Because they are, if they are right.

Good luck, and hope you find what you are looking for.

Jay
1963 Sunbeam Alpine, Holbay H120 engine
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1967 Porsche 912