Re: [Tigers] Rebuilding the SU Fuel Pump

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rebuilding the SU Fuel Pump
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 12:13:10 -0400
Hi Jay:

The original SU pump, as you have found by now, uses points to carry the
current to the pump (that's the ticking you hear when you turn on the
ignition).  The current is pretty hefty and, therefore, the points get
eroded gradually with time and eventually give up the ghost.  There are
suppliers who will rebuild the pump and convert it to solid state (see
below).  The points still switch the current but it is greatly reduced
so that the points will last indefinitely and the pump will be very
reliable, as a result.  I have had such a pump in my Tiger for probably
25 years with no problems.  The original pump carried the SU id AUF301
but that has been replaced by AUF303, IIRC.  Victoria British lists an
electronic replacement for the MGC (3-074) which I think is the correct
pump.  I know your Dad didn't like VB stuff so FWIW.  Moss Motors also
lists SU electronic pumps for the Big Healey and some of them used the
same pump as the Tiger.

Here is a link to a guy who will do the conversion if you want to go
that route.  I have no connection with him, just found a link to his site:

http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/Fuel_Pumps/SU_Fuel_Pump_Services.pdf

Good luck,

Tod
B382002384LRXFE