Re: [Tigers] Tiger Today

To: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>, Tiger's Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Today
From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 21:18:45 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Jay,
If I remember  correctly, your car has a smaller Holley 4BBL (465 CFM?) on top
of a F4B manifold. I have also had hot start problems using a similar setup
on one of my cars. When attempting to re-start after the hot car sits for a
few minutes the engine only spins, and when it finally does start it feels
like it is loaded up or the choke is on. In my case this was caused by the
fuel boiling in the bowls, the pressure builds up and the fuel overflows into
the carb, loading up the engine. I tried heat shields and thicker gaskets but
there is no head room with the F4B so you cannot use a decent phenolic
insulator. I fixed this by installing a toggle switch under the dash for the
pump, and I shut off the pump a minute or so before I park the car. When I
come back I switch the pump back on, turn the key to prime the carb for a
couple seconds, and the car starts right up with fresh cool (ish) fuel flowing
into the bowls. The "secret" switch also makes a great theft deterrent.

It's easy to try, there should be a connector of some type or a fuse in your
fuel pump's circuit. Get your car hot and disconnect the power to the pump for
a minute before you shut off the engine. Wait about 15 minutes then reconnect
the pump, turn the key to let it prime for a couple seconds then see if the
engine starts easily. If there is no change in its behavior then it's probably
timing/spark issues.
Bugz