Re: [Tigers] Gear set

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gear set
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 09:50:36 -0700
Denis,
  As Ron stated there is a 4 speed overdrive that was used in the 1970's
Granada and I believe some of the Ford Mustang/Capri and trucks. This link
will tell you much you need to know about them.
http://www.5speeds.com/toploader.html. Take note of the
differences/limitations.  An issue with this transmission is the large gap
between 2nd and 3rd gear.

What I have always found interesting is what is listed as "Jeep ratio #3".
While not an overdrive, it is a somewhat "wide-er" ratio toploader - but
still having even ratio spacing. Using taller tires with the 3.01 first gear
could effectively make the 1:1 fourth gear equivalent to perhaps a .85 or so
overdrive while coming close to the equivalent 2.78 of the wide ratio
standard toploader.

Just remember changing tire diameter is also equal to changing transmission
or rear end ratios. All THREE need to be considered a package factored
around the intended use of the car and its torque curve.

Tom