Re: [Tigers] Cobra continuation

To: snakebit289 <snakebit289@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Cobra continuation
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann1972@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 08:55:38 -0500
Cc: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
For what I know about them, I agree with Rande. I would expect that the
continuation series cars to hold the value the best of all the non-original
(period) cobras simply because they have the correct Shelby American
branding on them, and Shel "endorsed" them...where he did not for all other
replicas. He did get behind superformance though...even on a business
level, so they should hold their value very well both due to that and the
quality.  I believe the 4000 series SA cars are VERY similar to the
superformance setup...and i was under the impression that some
collaboration between superformance and shelby was at the heart of those
two lines...but I havent dug in to it. I believe is the series 8000 that is
the 289 version car. That would be cool. My Cobra replica is not as
advanced of a car as the superformance or Shelby American Cont' car...its
built more like a street rod, but it does drive very well and similar to
the authentic original cobras I have driven on a couple of rare occasions.
Its a 90" wheel base reasonably accurate external representation of the
original SC bodied big block car.

I would personally not lump superformance and factory 5 in the same
category. nothing wrong with factory five, but the superformace car is
incredibly high quality and very well made...by FAR exceeding the standards
of workmenship of all other replicas, (except Kirkham) and exceeding the
quality of the originals in my opinion, with the possible exception of the
alloy coach work which is just a lost art altogether. The kirkhams arent
event a close discussion. They arent really even meant to replicate...they
are so nice, so fancy and so well built with precision design and
tolerance, they are in a class of their own. And kirkhams often demand
outrageous premiums...EVEN for a while, a few years ago, close to the
originals simply due to their incredible quality. These days however the
originals are untouchable for most of us as we know.

my two cents.
Cullen
Alpine 260 (TAC 840)