Re: [Tigers] Jaguar F type

To: "Mark J Bradakis" <mark@bradakis.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Jaguar F type
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 19:25:27 -0400
In 2010 I tried to replace my '07 full-house 5-speed manual tranny Suburu
Forester, but was told they were now only available in their bottom end
models. I was working with the CAA (Canadian version of the AAA in the U.S.
and Australia..) at the time, and had our research folks check on the
numbers of manual transmission cars being sold in Canada. The number came
back as less than 6%. This was in 2010! Its less than that now.

I bought a BMW 6 speed manual X3 instead. Now, in this area at least, there
are NO BMW cars being brought in with manual transmissions.

Its a sign of the times. Cars are being produced that practically drive
themselves. For sure they park themselves! Driving schools are teaching the
next gen of drivers in automatic equipped cars. Folks find it difficult to
shave, install make-up, text a message, read the paper and/or talk on their
phones while eating a sandwich, AND shift gears too. The gears have to go.

Only old farts and the odd young fella who likes fast cars want a manual
tranny anymore.

Another reason to like (and preserve!) vintage and antique cars!

Dave