Re: [Tigers] Girling brake master reservoir (Moss Motors... windshields)

To: Joe Brown <jbbrown1980@gmail.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Girling brake master reservoir (Moss Motors... windshields)
From: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 15:51:31 -0700

--------------DCF54022B7CC4C36C524B426

Joe Brown:/"Do we have another source for windshields?"/

This is a looming problem for not just Tigers, but the collector car
world as a whole. Most people don't consider the need..., until they
have the need. My understanding is windshields are made in batches...,
as there is need. So, if the volume is not there to spark the
manufacturer to  do a "run" availability dwindles. I mean who wants to
manufacture a fragile, large product and then sit on it for years until
YOU need it?

About 8 years ago I was looking for a windshield for my 1964 Studebaker
Daytona. There was ONE vendor in the mid-west (I'm west coast) that had
ONE windshield in stock. When I asked if they were going to get more the
owner replied, "Not likely." That windshield would have cost me over
$600+ delivered. In the end I bought a used windshield that had
scratches and  bull's-eye but at least it wasn't broken. In fact to
cover myself I bought two at $100 each. I then spent 10 hours making a
cradle to securely fit both windshields in my son's Honda Civic as it
was a 400 mile trip from where they were. And as it was these were
station wagon windshields that the seller cut a 1/2" section out to fit
the sedan.  So, yea, sometimes it comes to measures such as that.

In this day and age of lasers and CNC you would think that windshield
reproduction might be more practical. Or that modern plastics could
replace glass as a means of making windshields available and reasonably
priced. I saw on Wheeler Dealer how they cut a windshield for a Saab out
of a late model Impala windshield. But the wraparound nature of the
Tiger windshield negates that route. I didn't mean to ramble but least
anyone be taken by surprise somewhere down the road ... . Hopefully not
but the way businesses are changing you never know.
//

--------------DCF54022B7CC4C36C524B426

  <head>
  </head>
      car world as a whole. Most people don't consider the need...,
      until they have the need. My understanding is windshields are made
      in batches..., as there is need. So, if the volume is not there to
      spark the manufacturer to  do a "run" availability dwindles. I
      mean who wants to manufacture a fragile, large product and then
      sit on it for years until YOU need it? <br>
      Studebaker Daytona. There was ONE vendor in the mid-west (I'm west
      coast) that had ONE windshield in stock. When I asked if they were
      going to get more the owner replied, "Not likely." That windshield
      would have cost me over $600+ delivered. In the end I bought a
      used windshield that had scratches and  bull's-eye but at least it
      wasn't broken. In fact to cover myself I bought two at $100 each.
      I then spent 10 hours making a cradle to securely fit both
      windshields in my son's Honda Civic as it was a 400 mile trip from
      where they were. And as it was these were station wagon
      windshields that the seller cut a 1/2" section out to fit the
      sedan.  So, yea, sometimes it comes to measures such as that.</p>
      windshield reproduction might be more practical. Or that modern
      plastics could replace glass as a means of making windshields
      available and reasonably priced. I saw on Wheeler Dealer how they
      cut a windshield for a Saab out of a late model Impala windshield.
      But the wraparound nature of the Tiger windshield negates that
      route. I didn't mean to ramble but least anyone be taken by
      surprise somewhere down the road ... . Hopefully not but the way
      businesses are changing you never know.<br>

--------------DCF54022B7CC4C36C524B426--

--===============7360600226645895684==