Re: [Tigers] Tiger shocks

To: Joe Brown <jbbrown1980@gmail.com>, Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger shocks
From: "Dr. T. Y. McDowell" <tym2@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 16:29:26 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Lionel Bohrer <lcbohrer@comcast.net>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_421203_2005156829.1685478566652

I live in western Massachusetts.  A couple of years ago I had Ferrara Sprin=
g, Co. in Springfield, MA re-arch the springs for my Mk1A to raise the rear=
 end approximately two (2) inches.  They charged me a whopping $72.00 for w=
hat is now a Tiger looking like it's ready to pounce!=20
=20
Tym McDowell

> On 05/30/2023 12:36 PM EDT Joe Brown <jbbrown1980@gmail.com> wrote:
> =20
> =20
> I googled "leaf spring re-arching" and found an old-school place in San A=
ntonio (Ace Spring Service, about 1.5 hours from me).  They mostly deal wit=
h heavy trucks but they can handle any leaf spring.  I told them I needed t=
o lift the back of the car about 1.5" and they basically separated the leav=
es and put them in a big press.  My old springs are liable to start sagging=
 again in a few years because of the old metal.  I asked the guy at Ace abo=
ut re-tempering the springs and they don't do that anymore.  He said that b=
ack in the days before they had the more modern giant presses they used to =
have a forge and they would heat up the metal and then beat it into shape w=
ith sledge hammers. =20
> =20
> The only source I've found for new leaf springs are some of the suppliers=
 in the UK.   Tom Hall doesn't supply them anymore.  I would like to know i=
f anybody knows of a US supplier.
om mailto:jay.laifman@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> > Where and how did you get the rear springs de-arched?  I'd like to lowe=
r my rear springs on the Alpine a little.
m mailto:jbbrown1980@gmail.com> wrote:
> >=20
> > > I think I started this thread a few weeks ago.  My car started to bot=
tom out and I finally figured out that I had two blown shocks and my leaf s=
prings were sagging.  I got the springs re-arched and started looking for s=
hocks.  I have a car show coming up this weekend, so time was a factor.  I =
looked at Koni and Spax but the lead times were way too long. So I decided =
to go with KYB.  Looking through the different forums I saw different part =
numbers and I finally settled on part number  KG5562 for the rears and KG46=
16 for the fronts. The rear shocks were a perfect fit.  On the front shocks=
 I needed to press out the steel bushing spacer on the old shocks and inser=
t them into the KYBs.  Super easy and they also fit really well.  The whole=
 car now sits a little higher and the handling is a million times better. =
=20
st.net mailto:lcbohrer@comcast.net> wrote:
> > >=20
beam Tiger 64-68, in the $150 range per shock front and rear.  They appear =
to be single adjustable so rebound and compression change together.
set of Koni shocks.  Didn=E2=80=99t like the damping characteristics quite =
as well, but the ability to adjust on the car was revolutionary.  Soften up=
, drive to an autocross or cross country, get to the event, turn them up an=
d compete, post event set down for the street and drive home.  Many competi=
tion cars weren=E2=80=99t trailered in those years.  A great ability to acc=
ommodate street comfort and autocross performance.  Or to adjust to your in=
dividual preferences.  My set are still on the car, which exited regular co=
mpetition in the late 90=E2=80=99s, but my two SCCA autocross national cham=
pionships in 1974 and 1975 were with the Spax shocks.  Would be worth explo=
ring if you need shocks.  They also might custom make a set of double adjus=
table shocks if you were interested.
 Windows
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >=20
> >=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

------=_Part_421203_2005156829.1685478566652

<!doctype html>
 <head>=20
 </head>
olor: #333333;">
rn Massachusetts.&nbsp; A couple of years ago I had Ferrara Spring, Co. in =
Springfield, MA re-arch the springs for my Mk1A to raise the rear end appro=
ximately two (2) inches.&nbsp; They charged me a whopping $72.00 for what i=
s now a Tiger looking like it's ready to pounce!&nbsp;</span>
tica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
   &nbsp;
tica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
pan>
    On 05/30/2023 12:36 PM EDT Joe Brown &lt;jbbrown1980@gmail.com&gt; wrot=
e:
    &nbsp;
    &nbsp;
    I googled "leaf spring re-arching" and found an old-school place in San=
 Antonio (Ace Spring Service, about 1.5 hours from me).&nbsp; They mostly d=
eal with heavy trucks but they can handle any leaf spring.&nbsp; I told the=
m I needed to lift the back of the car about 1.5" and they basically separa=
ted the leaves and put them in a big press.&nbsp; My old springs are liable=
 to start sagging again in a few years because of the old metal.&nbsp; I as=
ked the guy at Ace about re-tempering the springs and they don't do that an=
ymore.&nbsp; He said that back in the days before they had the more modern =
giant presses they used to have a forge and they would heat up the metal an=
d then beat it into shape with sledge hammers.&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
     &nbsp;
     The only source I've found for new leaf springs are some of the suppli=
ers in the UK.&nbsp; &nbsp;Tom Hall doesn't supply them anymore.&nbsp; I wo=
uld like to know if anybody knows of a US supplier.
     &nbsp;
     Thanks,
     Joe Brown
     On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 10:39=E2=80=AFAM Jay Laifman &lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:jay.laifman@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">jay.laifman@=
gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:
      Where and how did you get the rear springs de-arched?&nbsp; I'd like =
to lower my rear springs on the Alpine a little.
       On Mon, May 29, 2023 at 1:03=E2=80=AFPM Joe Brown &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:jbbrown1980@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">jbbrown1980@g=
mail.com</a>&gt; wrote:
        I think I started this thread a few weeks ago.&nbsp; My car started=
 to bottom out and I finally figured out that I had two blown shocks and my=
 leaf&nbsp;springs were sagging.&nbsp; I got the springs re-arched and star=
ted looking for shocks.<span style=3D"font-family: times new roman, serif;"=
>&nbsp;</span><span style=3D"font-family: arial, sans-serif;"> I have a car=
 show coming up this weekend, so time was a factor.&nbsp; I looked at Koni =
and Spax but the lead times were way too long. So I decided to go with KYB.=
&nbsp; Looking through the different forums I saw different part numbers an=
d I finally settled on part number&nbsp; KG5562 for the rears and KG4616 fo=
r the fronts. The rear shocks were a perfect fit.&nbsp; On the front shocks=
 I needed to press out the steel bushing spacer on the old shocks and inser=
t them into the KYBs.&nbsp; Super easy and they also fit really well.&nbsp;=
 The whole car now sits a little higher and the handling is a million times=
 better.&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>=20
dy's input.</span>
pan>
         On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 9:11=E2=80=AFPM Lionel Bohrer &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:lcbohrer@comcast.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">lcbohre=
r@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:
shows a listing for the Sunbeam Tiger 64-68, in the $150 range per shock fr=
ont and rear.&nbsp; They appear to be single adjustable so rebound and comp=
ression change together.</p>=20
 60=E2=80=99s.&nbsp; Replaced a set of Koni shocks.&nbsp; Didn=E2=80=99t li=
ke the damping characteristics quite as well, but the ability to adjust on =
the car was revolutionary.&nbsp; Soften up, drive to an autocross or cross =
country, get to the event, turn them up and compete, post event set down fo=
r the street and drive home.&nbsp; Many competition cars weren=E2=80=99t tr=
ailered in those years.&nbsp; A great ability to accommodate street comfort=
 and autocross performance.&nbsp; Or to adjust to your individual preferenc=
es.&nbsp; My set are still on the car, which exited regular competition in =
the late 90=E2=80=99s, but my two SCCA autocross national championships in =
1974 and 1975 were with the Spax shocks.&nbsp; Would be worth exploring if =
you need shocks.&nbsp; They also might custom make a set of double adjustab=
le shocks if you were interested.</p>=20
t.com/fwlink/?LinkId=3D550986" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">Mail</a> =
for Windows</p>=20
l=3D"noopener">tigers@autox.team.net</a>
"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
get=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a> <a=