carb problem?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: carb problem?
From: Michael T Risher <risher@leland.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 22:46:12 -0700 (PDT)
My '78 Spitfire died today.  I got in, started it, drove about
1000 feet, and it stopped dead.  The float chamber has plenty of
gas in it, the metering needle seems fine, and I was getting a spark
(although perhaps not a great one--maybe the coil?).  I tried starting it
a bunch of times after taking apart/putting back together various
parts, and all I got was a few misfires, a weaker battery, and gas
leading out of the little hose which leads from the lower part of
the carb nearest the engine to the distributer!  Any comments or
suggestions would be greatly appreciated--I'm stumped and frustrated-
michael