Re: Spitfire Compression

To: David Mastenbrook <daveejay@peak.org>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Compression
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 11:11:27 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 7 May 1995, David Mastenbrook wrote:

> I recently checked compression on a '74 Spitfire
> My results were: #1 130
>                  #2 128
>                  #3 130
>                  #4 125

I think most people that have 4-cylinder engines would be proud of such
compression numbers.  They indicate a smooth engine that's in good shape.

> When I set the timing to 2 degrees ATDC it was with the vacuum line to the
> distributor disconnected and plugged off. Hopefully I was correct in doing
> so. Any suggestions?

I believe you have a vacuum retard.  If this is the case, you should set
the timing with the retard connected.  You can verify that you have a
vacuum retard by sucking on the distributor vacuum port.  If the points
plate in the distributor rotates counterclockwise while as you suck, then
you have a retard.

> When I grow up I want to be a geek!

You've probably matured enough.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6