Re: Thanks all(again).

To: Scions of Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Thanks all(again).
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 17:13:07 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "'british-cars'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
On Tue, 9 May 1995, Craig Friedrich (craigf) wrote:

> On the opposite side of the bell housing from the slave cylinder there
> is a roll (if I remember right) pin that serves as the pivot point for
> the release bearing arm.  These pins have been known to wear out, drop
> out and otherwise cause grief.  You might be able to see it from the top
> side with the tunnel cover off.  If not, you can get an eyeball on it
> from the bottom.  Look for small vertical hole; inside should be the pin.

I would also venture that this is the fellow's problem

> To really fix the problem, you'll need to pull the bell housing.  You
> might be able to fix it in the car, but you spend more time and triple
> your frustration if you try.

Not so my good man,
        It is possible to fix the problem without removing the trans, if
the throwout fork bushings are still good.  Assuming that the pivot pin
has simply fallen out since the crush sleve became too crushed, If you're
careful you can drop a 5/16 diameter bolt (the kind that are about 4 or 5
inches long) down where the pivot pin used
to be.  If you remove the slave cylinder, you can frob the throwout fork
so it'll line up.  An assistant looming over the transmission bellhousing
while perched in the engine compartment will be able to tell you when the
fork is lined up.

Don't lose heart, and don't think that an automatic transmission in a
Spitfire would make for a fun or valuable car.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6