TR6 Oil Pressure, valve adjusting, Hoods

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Oil Pressure, valve adjusting, Hoods
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 11:41:44 -0600
I've been through most of this a few years ago, and can actually
forward information from the pre tr-list days.  :-)

A fresh TR6 engine Oil pressure values:

Cold Idle       90+
Cold Running   100
Warm Idle       40
Warm Running    70

A worn TR6 engine might look like this, based on my engine before rebuild:

Cold Idle      50
Cold Running   70
Warm Idle      15
Warm Running   50

In some cases, replacing the big-end bearings on the connecting rods
will help low idle oil pressure.  The low pressure can be an indicator
to the fact that there is slop there, and oil leaks out falling back
into the oil pan.  Removal of the pan and replacement of these
bearings is a simple fix if a rebuild is not possible.  Some manuals
even recommend replacing these bearings every 50,000 miles!  Bentley, I
think... BTW, 20w50 will raise oil pressure values, but not too
significantly after the car becomes completely warm.
================
Valve adjustments can be done via the addition rule.  That is:
number of valves + 1.

So a four cylinder would look like this

  Valve fully  Valve to
  Compressed   Adjust      Value of Compressed + Adjust

       8         1              9
       6         3              9
       4         5              9
       7         2              9
       1         8              9
       3         6              9
       5         4              9
       2         7              9

A TR6 would look like...

       8         5              13
       6         7              13
  etc...
A friend from back east had his bonnet release cable break.  The list
suggested removing the glove box, and you could access the release
mechanism through a hole in the firewall.  He did just that.  I've
never done it, so I don't have any details other than that.

Good luck!

-Scotty
 '75 TR6