Re:pulling Trannies

To: searle@indigo.ucdavis.edu (Philip A. Searle)
Subject: Re:pulling Trannies
From: davcla@ix.netcom.com (David Clark)
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 16:00:41 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
You wrote:

>>davcla@ix.netcom.com (David Clark)
>>I am not to sure about the tr6 but with my Spit there was a month
where
>>I had to pull and replace the tranny SIX time all by my lonsome. Then
>>about six months ago I put a new engine.....
>
>There has to be a good story here, six times in a month! Please tell
more!

>regards

I am afraid isn't much of a story, unless maybe your a Stephen King Fan

Most of it is attributed to lack of experience, carelessness, and just
Triumphs Law.

Well you asked for it.  Paul, Drum roll please.

1. When I purchased the care the clutch was shot so I replaced the
clutch.

2. After replacing the clutch I noticed the new throwout bearing
sitting on the counter, DOH!. I figured I'd wait a couple of weeks and
enjoy the car first but it only lasted a day or two.

3. after a week the clutch felt like it was going out, yanked it off
again, That is how I learned the Hard way about the infamous "floating
Crank" (for the hell of it I did replace the thrust washer in hopes of
avoiding the inevetable but much to my shagrin It just spit it back
out.  I did  drive it for another 5ooo mile before replacing the
engine, rane great except for being a bit 'pokey')

4. Was pushing in on my clutch one day  and it went all to wayto the
floor, After filling the master a few times and looking for leaks
I came ti the conclusing the it have been coating my clutch.

5. That damn little pin in the bell housing that holds the TO bearing
fork vanished.  I wish I had known to replace it with a bolt. Now that
was a spectacle!! Bearing and Clutch "bits" everywhere.

6. Well, Um,  er, It sure seemed like six.

If I had only belonged to this group back then I would have saved
myself a lot of trouble even by lurking.

Thanks to all who helped with my Ignition Woes,  I went with the crane
cam and it purrs like a kitten,  well, maybe a kitten with a cold.

I can think of a few more, but I am already starting to feel a draft.
Maybe  if we got a good thread going I would throw a few more out
there.

Enjoy,

David Clark