Starting car in neutral & (belt on)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Starting car in neutral & (belt on)
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 13:56:48 -0400
Hi all,

The recent thread on starting your car in neutral etc. reminded me
of a "feature" on my '75 Spit.  While inspecting the tranny some
time ago,  I discovered an extra switch attached near the gear
selector.  This appeared to be <neutral-detection-switch>.
Looking at the schematic for *early* '75 Spits, I saw mention of
<seat-belt-neutral> switch.  This switch is listed in the legend
at the bottom of the diagram (#39), but I can't find it anywhere
on the actual wiring diagram.  Although disabled by a PO, it appears
that you would have to have:
a) your seat belt fastened
b) you passenger's (if present) belt fastened.
c) tranny in neutral
before you could start the car.  The passenger <seat-belt-switch>
and the <seat-belt-neutral-switch> appear to have been deleted in
the later '75s and onward.
FWIW all my "modern" cars and trucks w/ manual transmission
have the <clutch-in> switch to inhibit starting.  I think this is standard
these days.

Bob Sykes
75, 78, 78 Spitfires