Re: TR6 wiring -Horn and Hazard

To: jesup@scala.scala.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 wiring -Horn and Hazard
From: AMurray001@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 19:59:43 -0400
Your troubles sound a lot like my 1976 TR-6!

In my case, and quite some time ago with the PO, the Anti-Running-On Valve
(which is energized when you shut off the engine and de-energized when the
oil pressure switch closes) had gotten loose and shorted against the frame of
the car.  This caused the wire to melt and separate from the rest of the
harness.  This, in turn, caused the horn to short against "something"
whenever the horn button was pushed - consequently no sound!  On left hand
drive TR's the ARO valve is the last item on the wiring harness and at  that
end of the harness the horns are about the only thing left also.  This *may*
have been the problem with your car also.(?)

My horn relay was OK so I just ran another lead from the relay to the LH horn
and from the LH horn to the RH horn.  This has the horn working when the
engine is running but not too well yet when the car is off (who needs the
horn when the car is off?).  Could be that the relay is damaged, I suppose.
 Or that there is still some kind of short in the system.

As for the Hazard Switch, mine does not work either.  This may be related to
the ARO valve wiring problem too, but I have not diagnosed. You've got me
thinking that it could just be the flasher unit.  Hmmmm.

Any other SOL'ers with ideas on this one?

Andrew D. Murray Sr.