Spitfire timing problems.

Subject: Spitfire timing problems.
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 18:46:39 -0400 (EDT)
  Hi all,

        I've got a timing problem with my 76 Spitfire.  The Bentley manual
says the timing should be at 10 btdc.  The Haynes manual says it should be 2
atdc.  I figured this wasn't a big problem, I'd just try both and see which
made the car run better.  Well, at 10 btdc it runs fine, except it pings.
At 2 atdc it doesn't ping but it hesitates during acceleration.  It does,
however, idle much more cleanly at 2 atdc, so I'm so far assuming that this
is the correct timing.  So, what would cause the hesitation?  Possibly the
carb mixture out of tune?
        On that subject, I've tried to follow the manuals, which say to
adjust the mixture to the highest idle.  Problem here is that no matter how
I turn the needle, the idle never really changes much.  Any comments?  Does
that colortune thing work?

        Darn car always starts another problem whenever I fix one.  Course,
that's what makes them fun.  I just bought a 74 MGB today to add to my
punishment, so I guess I'm just a glutton for it :-)

                                        Jeremy DuBois
                                        Programmer/System Administrator
                                        Thermalogic Corporation