Re: Serial numbers?

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Serial numbers?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 16:55:03 -0900 (PDT)
On Fri, 30 Jun 1995 jshaw@enterprise.Dts.Harris.COM wrote:

> I just bought a 1963 mark 4. I need help in decoding the
> serial numbers on the car. Can sombody help with this?
> The comm no. is FC139 4 L and the engine number is FC34970ME.
> There is also a small plate below the S/N 1423FC.

The commission number, and the last number (which is the body number),
indicate a fairly early production Spitfire 4. The engine number (BTW,
that is probably "HE" for the last two letters, not "ME"), indicates a
somewhat later, but still correct engine, perhaps mid- to late 1964
Spitfire 4.

Please tell us (me, anyway!) more about the car. How original is it?
What sort of condition? What do you plan/need to do to it?

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant [and Spitfire owner/fan]
Vintage Triumph Register