Re: Getting to the Speedometer

To: AMurray001@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Getting to the Speedometer
From: rorr@eagle.wbm.ca (Rodney Orr)
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 22:28:24 -0600
At 22:20 22-07-95 -0400, AMurray001@aol.com wrote:
>I have not removed to dashboard, to date, and am not eager to do so.  Can
>anyone out there lend some advice?  Do I have to remove the whole dash panel
>to get the Speedo out?  Are the Speedometers on  the  TR's repairable?  I'd
>just like to find out what I'm diving into - before I start.

You should be able to remove the speedo without taking the dash out.  I've
done it both ways.  Try lying on your back on the driver's side floor and
reaching into that mess of wires etc.  Once you've all of the wires off the
back and disconnected the speedo cable, there are only 2 round nuts to spin
off which hold the speedo in with shovel clamps.  Once they're off, the
whole thing will come out from the front.  If you have a manual, check the
wiring diagram to see what all is back there.  Its not real obvious while
lying on your back with a flashlight in your mouth.

Once I got my speedo out, it was just a matter of soaking the part where the
cable screws in in some isopropyl alcohol.  That loosened up all of the
grease and gunk that was causing mine to break the cable.  It was so gummed
up that it wouldn't turn.  A drop of light oil once its clean should do it -
if its not broken.  Can't help you there.  British Car magazine used to
carry an ad from someone who does repairs.  Let me know if you need his number.

Regards,
Rod.
'70 TR6  CC55899L

- - - - -