Re: Oil feed jazz and bearing blues

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil feed jazz and bearing blues
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 19:11:35 +0200
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
In article <9507241511.AA27368@nicmad.nicolet.com>,
gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider) wrote:
> Thanks to Phil Willson for his thoughtful and helpful commentary! He writes:
>
> >Now, in my view, if there is no further knocking once the pressure has built
> >up and the light has gone out, then
> >your engine is fine - if it continues to knock then it's time for some
>serious
> >work to be done.
>
> That sounds like good news for several of the worried correspondents. Phil
> or anyone have experience of engines running a long life despite start-up
> knock?

Yes, me. All engines that are well passed the run-in stage will have this
knock, assuming you listen carefully.

> I would expect the knock to indicate a little more bearing material
> is being chewed each startup.

Obviously, but then again, I feel that some put too much weight on this
issue. The bearings will *not* last forever even if you never turn off
your engine, be assured of that.

On the other hand, I see no reason whatsoever for not trying to reduce
this problem by fitting an oil filter adapter, as Phil explains. It is
easier to fit this adapter than it is to change the regular oil filter.

Ok, the concours people will of course object, but from what I under-
stand, engine life would be the least of their concerns :-)

> The next interesting question seems to be at
> what point in the downhill slope should you address it before the crank is
> in danger.

I think *hot* engine pressure at 2000 RPM is a better indicator for
this, as we've discussed before.

> At this point I'm thinking of
> removing it because I'd rather replace a worn rocker shaft than a scored
> crank.

I'd agree that this is definitely a concern.

I checked my rockers, BTW, and can at least report that no wear was
detectable, so the external feed probably helps in this area (as could
be expected).

And finally, to Phil: What would the size of the restriction be?

Egil

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Smail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway