SU's on TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU's on TR6
From: trs@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu (Peter Barrance)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 13:18:49 -0500 (EDT)
Hi all -

This weekend I bought some of a guys accumulated collection of parts left over
from ownership of 25 (!) TR6's (mostly consecutive rather than concurrent...)
I picked up a set of disc wheels and tires, a couple of distributors, speedo,
tach, alternator. Also a pair of SU carbs complete with linkage. There were
some ID tags on them - forgot to write it down though. So I don't know the
exact model, but they seem like big ones (bigger than MGB for instance anyway)
According to him, these carbs are the best thing since sliced bread - easier
to tune, much better performing than standard Stromberg setup.

Anyone have experience w/ SU's on this motor?

There are no vac. advance or retard ports. Should I look into fitting either?

What should I use to polish up the cylinders? There is some light scoring and
corrosion, and the pistons don't drop very smoothly. He mentioned Crocus (sp?)
paper/cloth. What is this and where to buy? Any other preferred methods for
this?

Thanks very much for any help.

Pete