Vitesse - T2000 engine swap

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vitesse - T2000 engine swap
From: Liquid@massey.ac.nz (Pat Edwards)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 23:47:58 +0000
I am contemplating temporarily swapping the engine of our '68 2L Mk1
Vitesse for an engine from a T2000 saloon.  This would allow me to keep the
Vitesse in everyday use while the original engine is reconditioned.  I
would be keen to hear from anyone who has undertaken such an exchange to
find out about any potential difficulties and roughly how long it is likely
to take.   I believe the Vitesse flywheel has to be fitted to the saloon
engine.  Is this difficult?  Are the flywheels from any other models (other
than the GT6 which are rarer than hens' teeth) compatible? I have also read
somewhere that the block must have tappings to accept the Vitesse back
plate.  Do any  variants of the saloon engine already have these tappings?
What about the exhaust manifolds - are they the same? The engine I'm
considering is from a T2000 Mk1 automatic although Mk2 2000 and
particularly Mk2 2500 engines are very plentiful in New Zealand.

Thanks in advance,  Pat Edwards.

P.S.  The Vitesse engine is currently pumping out a fair bit of blue smoke,
but only on the over run going down steep hills.  However, the compression
readings seem O.K. and the PCV doesn't seem to be blocked.  Are there any
other causes of this problem?  Could worn carb butterflies have any effect
i.e. by not sealing properly when the throttle is closed?