Re: wheel trim ring

To: hal@gort.space.swri.edu
Subject: Re: wheel trim ring
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 11:55:11 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 4 Oct 1995 hal@gort.space.swri.edu wrote:

> Hi All:
>
>   A member of our club is looking for a 13" wheel trim ring for a
> Vitesse.  He claims that it is the same as those found on than early
> Herald and the Mk1 and Mk2 Spits.  Does anyone know where he can find
> one?

Hal, I'm working without references in front of me at the moment, but I
think they are the same. However, in the U.S. these trims were NOT
commonly seen on Heralds or Spitfires. They were, perhaps, more common
in the home market. The basic "nave plate" is the same regardless.

By about 1964, what was more common on the Herald and Spitfire was a
full, vented and "sided" wheel cover, listed as an option in accessory
brochures of the period but probably installed on most disk-wheeled cars
sold in the U.S.

Triumph 2000 sedans also used basically the same nave plate, with a
Triumph "globe" badge installed in the center, and a trim ring. I don't
remember now if these are the same as for the Vitesse/Sports 6. Trim
rings were used on the original GT6, but virtually all Mk.1 GT6s sold in
the U.S. were equipped with wire wheels, despite what you might find on
some early sales brochures.

Also, if memory serves, there are at least two different styles of trim
rings.

I can try to research this more, and perhaps some of our UK TSSC friends on
the list can shed some light both on use on cars there and present
availability of same.

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register