Re: GT6 tuning help needed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 tuning help needed
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 14:49:03 -0400
++> After some work I did on my GT6 mk3, it's not running quite the same and

++> still sometimes idles really high when it gets hot (during the run this
++> happened, engine temp between 3/4 mark and red).

        This sounds like your throttle plate bypass values are sticking
open.  These things give me a lot of trouble too.  If the problem persists
after you get the timing set properly, I'd try increasing the spring
pressure on the valves a little bit at a time until the problem goes
away. (you increase the spring pressure by turning the screw adjusters
counterclockwise)  The PCV and vapor recovery system can cause a
mega idle too, but I'm assuming you left that alone.

++> Any suggestions??  From reading the Haynes manual, the vacuum unit
++> actually retards the timing and timing advance is done mechanically.

        I think you have a vacuum retard that is activated when the
throttle plate is closed (there is a port in the carb throat).  I would
disconnect the retard unit, plug the line, and time the engine using the
earlier GT6 spec (something like 5 or 10 degrees BTDC).  When you
take the line off the retard, your idle rpm will probably increase.  Be sure
that you back it off to  a reasonable value before you time the engine.
Then hook the retard system back up.  Verify that the timing increases
dramatically when you first open the throttle.  BTW, this assumes that
you have an idle retard system, but I'm not positive that is the case
on a later California GT6 mk III like yours.

++> the distributor is that much different than the old one to cause these
++> problems.  Or could it be the cahnges I made in the carbs?

        You might want to keep the mechanical advance springs off
your old distributor just in case...

--
William Woodruff        woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor MI