Bottom end knock

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bottom end knock
From: thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us (Thomas J Howard)
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 16:19:05 -0800
Trithusiasts,

Well havind gotten just about everything working on my GT6 project it is
predictable that there would be something new develop.

I have driven this '72 GT6 Mk3 just about 100 miles since getting it back
into running condition after being idle for abut 8 years.  The first 80
miles everything seemed tight and sound.  Now I have a new noise.   There is
a knock from the bottom end.   It seems to be worst when the engine is cold
but can be clearly heard when putting a bit of load on the engine with the
brake set and feathering the clutch in 4th.   It seems to be at the RPM rate
as if it is one rod, piston or ?????.

The sound seemed to start after I changed the oil for the second time.

Of course the 8 year old oil was removed and I put in 20-40 weight.   I ran
the car for that 80 miles and then decided to change it again as the new oil
looked dark and dirty.  I suspect that there was a lot of old dirt and
sludge from the 8 years and the DPO.

I put in a new filter, from The roadster Factory.  A Rover Brand GFE138 and
5 quarts of new 20-40 weight.

Right after that I noted that I had this new knock.   At first I just
thought that I might be a very loose tappet.    But I checked those.   All
OK at .010.

THE QUESTION:

        Can I get the sump off with out taking the engine out of the car.

It does not look like it.   The steering gear is only about 1/2" from the
bottom of the pan.   Maybe by taking out the steering gear and then trying
to slip it by the back plate and cross member of the frame?

I have just replaced the transmission and redone the interior as well as
about 3 dozen other small repairs.   I would REALLY  like to take a look at
the rod bearings but do not want to pull the engine.

What does experance tell you.  Tell me.

Thank you.

Tom Howard
'72 GT6