Re: Repair manual & Netiquette Question <199511070711.XAA092

To: davcla@ix.netcom.com (David Clark )
Subject: Re: Repair manual & Netiquette Question <199511070711.XAA09293@ix2.ix.netcom.com>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 07:49:15 PST
Cc: british-cars@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>David Clark said:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > Question 1:  I have always used a Haynes manual in the past and it has
 > been for the most part 'satisfactory'.  But in the past I have read
 > many references to the Bently's manual.  I called TRF to get a price on
 > it and I was some what suprised.  I was wondering if I could get some
 > feedback from those of you who have used/use both of them.  Is it a
 > worthwile expense or should I use my 1500's milk money for it frequent
 > snacks?

In my opinion, one should not waste one's money on the Haynes manuals, but
get the Bentley ones.  I have three: for my Jetta, for the Vanagon and for
the TR6.  I have found them to be complete, exhaustive and authoritative, where
I have found the haynes ones to be incomplete ans superficial.

Rememberm the Bentley manuals are for the most part reprints of the
factory manuals, it doesn't get more "pure quill" than that.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center