Another timing question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Another timing question
From: GBSimcoe@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 22:58:14 -0500
Thanks to all who responded about setting the points gap, my starter will
thank all of you who saved it from an early demise if I do this very often.
Now that we are in the groove of this, we are checking the static timing
(don't ask me why-- this is Joe's idea) as well as the previous dynamic
check.
Question:  The Bentley book says to do a static check, the light should be
hooked up to the lead from the coil.  They do mean the smaller wire (as
opposed to the big one) don't they?
Thanks ... Grace