More on the Rocker O

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: More on the Rocker O
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 95 10:26:42 EST

 To:    Triumph List,           Inet

On  Fri, 10 Nov 95, Scott Tilton wrote:

At the same time I put the new head on, I also installed a
stainless steel braided, external rocker oil feed pipe.  I know
that this pipe puts out a whole lot of oil to the rocker assembly
(oil guyesers under the valve cover) because I made a terrible
mess when I was adjusting the valves.  Turned on the engine with
the cover off, and instantly . . . . .oil everywhere! I, and
apparantly at least one other person on the list, think  that the
early TR valve guides (which do not have seals by the  way) simply
cannot handle this amount of oil, and thus a good bit  gets into
the combustion chambers.  It tries to burn, and  accumulates and
fouls the plugs and leaves a real mess.
Scott, is there some way to partially reduce the volume of oil
being pumped into the valve assembly by the new rocker feed line?
Perhaps you can reduce the diameter of the line, or insert a
reducer plug in the attachment fitting.  Granted, it would raise
the pressure of the output some what, but since your problem
appears to be too much oil and not that it is spraying the inside
of the valve cover too hard, this might work and save you a lot of
time, energy and effort spent re-working the valve guides.  Just a
thought.  Good luck.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire Mk. I, 68 Datsun 1600 Roadster and a cat named
Flounder