Vertical link

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vertical link
From: Robert and Sarah Clark <clarks@Rt66.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 95 15:57:12 MST
The other day I was driving my 79 Spitfire home for lunch.  As I rounded a
left hand turn at about 30 mph, which I do every day, I heard a rather loud
bang and was suddenly riding on three wheels and the bottom of the front
right shock absorper assembly.  The vertical link snapped right off.  I
happened to have a used front end assembly that a friend had given me about
a year ago.  He does some racing with US built cars and found the parts in a
box of stuff someone had given him.  He thought it looked British so he gave
it to me.  So, I walked the remaining mile to the house, found the used
front end parts and loaded up a jack and tools and went back to the car.
The used assembly did fit on the car and I managed the replacement in about
an hour.  I was able to drive the Spitfire home.  I did notice that the
replacement front end parts were not quite the same as the original.  After
looking at a parts book, it appears that what I put on the car is probably
from  a GT6.  I do not intend to leave it on the car, but it got me home.  I
am now trying to remove the vertical link from the spindle axle.  The manual
says if this needs to be done, a press is needed.  Does anyone have any
experience with this?  Can it be removed without a press?  Also, how
frequently do these these things break?  I have been driving the car for
about 8 years now and it was a bit of a shock.  Now I am very leary of
taking any turn at any kind of speed.